Where Horea Street and Dacia Street cross each other, they say that there used to be a blacksmith’s workshop. This blacksmith turned his yard into a movie theater. In 1910, it was on this site that András Udvardi built Urania Palace, which housed a modern 400-seat movie theater, 10 stores and 17 apartments. The building, in the Austrian secession style, was designed by architect Géza Kappeter.
In 1964, the name of the movie theater, Urania, was changed into 23 August, in memory of the date when Romania changed allies in World War II and turned against the Nazi Germany. Since late 1989, the movie theater has been called Favorit.
Text preluat de pe visitclujnapoca.ro.2015-02-24