In the Unirii Square, at the intersection with Street Napoca, the Rhédey Palace bears the name of the family who bought it in the early 18th century.
Around 1500, on the site of the present Rhédey palace, there were four houses belonging to Cluj patricians. The Rhédey Palace was built on the site of those houses in an eclectic style.
By the ballroom located inside the building, the Rhédey Palace links its name to the history of Hungarian Theatre in Transylvania, too. A memorial plaque reminds us that it was here, in this very place, where the first Hungarian Theatre institution of Cluj was located which was founded on November 17th 1792.
Between 1680-1690, the building was purchased by the aristocrat László Székely, whose wife Sara Buluşd was the daughter of a nobleman in Moldova. Close to the entrance, on its left side, the inner courtyard of the palace still bears Sara’s blazon.
On the frontispiece of the building, one can see Rhédey’s blazon with the initials RJ and the symbol of the noble crown with nine visible pearls meaning the rank of an “earl”.
One of the famous inhabitants of the Rhédey Palace was Claudia Rhedey of Kis – Rhede, which is the great-great-grandmother of Queen Elizabeth the 2nd of Great Britain.
Text preluat de pe visitclujnapoca.ro.