In the vicinity of the Union Square, going west on the old street of Manastur, now Memorandum Street, there lies the Redoubt Palace.
The building presently houses the Ethnographic Museum of Transylvania as it is one of the oldest buildings in Cluj, its construction going back to the 16th century.
In the 18th and 19th centuries, the most important inn of Cluj building was run here and was called “Calul Bălan” [the Flaxen Horse]. In the period 1820-1830 the building was rebuilt in neoclassical style, it became one of the most important political, administrative and cultural buildings in Transylvania in the 19th century and was given the name of “Redoubt”.
In this building, the Transylvanian Diet [the constitutional and political body of Principality of Transylvania, and later of the Grand Principality of Transylvania] met in 1790-1791 and rejected the Memorandum of the Romanian nation in Transylvania Supplex Libellus Valachorum.
The building housed the Transylvanian Diet between 1848-1865. It was here that the last Diet met where the Romanian nation, that was the majority, was not represented at all and the Diet decided, in 1865, the union of Transylvania with Hungary.
Famous concerts and dances were organized in the main hall and great musicians concerted here such as Johannes Brahms, Franz Liszt, Béla Bartók and George Enescu.
In 1923 the General Congress of Trade Unions of Romania was organized in this building.
The building remained famous especially for housing the Memorandists process in 1894, one of the great political trials of the century, with ample echoes throughout the European press.
With the end of the 19th century, new cultural and administrative buildings are built in Cluj, and the importance of building decreases. The Museum of Art functioned here for some time – starting in 1959 – the Ethnographic Museum of Transylvania which still exists today in this building.
Text preluat de pe visitclujnapoca.ro.