The Matthias Corvinus House (or Mehffy House) is a cityish builing in gothic style from the 15th century (today, Art and Design University of Cluj Napoca). In this house, which was the city’s inn in past, was born on 23rd of February 1443 Matia Corvin, the son of the vaivode of Transylvania, John Hunyadi (Ioan de Hunedoara). Matia Corvin was the greatest king of Hungary (1458-1490), he was learned, patron of arts, wise and just, being mentioned in songs and legends even today. In 1467, he acquited the owners of the house in which he was born from paying taxes and fees to the city. This privilege was enforced by the next kings and princes.
The house served as different institutions. It was a college, but was also home for the etnographic collections of the Transylvanian Carpathian Society. Over time, the building has suffered various changes, adapted to the new architectural styles. The basement and some platbans of windows and doors that have lintels in oblique section are charactheristic of the gothic style.
During the first half of the 16th century appeared the first elements of the Renaissance: some platbans from Renaissance on the facade, with denticles, together with gothic elements, as well as the portal in broken arch. The original arches were chiefly replaced. During the 18th century the building was made a hospital and the yard had suffered a few baroque changes. At the end of the 19th century, the building was in an advanced state of degradation and it was restored. Many elements of Art Nouveau , Secession were introduced, being in fashion at that time. In the 50’s of the last century, the modifications of Art Nouveau were removed, being incompatible with the architecture of the building, which gained the pressent appearance.
Except for the hall, which can be visited between 10.00 AM-4.00 PM, the house cannot be visited.
Text preluat de pe visitclujnapoca.ro.